How do I get an attorney?

You have the right to hire your own attorney. If you cannot afford one, you may apply for a court-appointed attorney. You can apply for a court-appointed attorney at the Public Defender’s Office located at:
107 W 6th N Street
Summerville, SC 29483

They accept applications Monday through Friday between the hours of 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. and require a $40 application fee.

Show All Answers

1. How do I file a complaint about an officer?
2. How do I get an attorney?
3. What attorney should I call to handle my case?
4. I can do this in another court. Why can't I do it here?
5. What do I do if I don't think the judge got all the information about my case before I was found guilty?
6. What will be my sentence?
7. Why did I receive this charge?
8. Will the judge put me in jail for this?
9. Can I represent myself?
10. I have asked you several questions and you won't answer them. Why aren't you more helpful?
11. What happens at a trial?
12. What happens at the arraignment?
13. Can I plead by phone?
14. My relative got arrested. Who do I talk to?
15. What victim services are available?
16. What have I been charged with?
17. What sentence will I get if I plead guilty?