SUMMERVILLE, S.C. (Wednesday, July 8, 2020) – Summerville Town Council has passed an emergency ordinance requiring all Town Council, Committees, Boards, and Commission meetings to be held electronically through Thursday, August 13, 2020. The vote was made at an emergency special called council meeting on Tuesday, July 7. The decision was made in the best interest of public health and out of an abundance of caution in helping to reduce risk of exposure to the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
The Town will host meetings through Zoom, a digital conferencing service that allows meetings to be broadcast on the Internet to devices such as computers, tablets, and phones. The public can watch meetings by clicking the ‘live streaming’ link on the homepage of the Town’s website.
Town Council will meet for its regular monthly council meeting at 6 p.m. Thursday, July 9, via Zoom, not in Council Chambers. Residents can sign up for public comment one of two ways:
- Send your comments to email@example.com before 4:30 p.m. Thursday, July 9, with your name, address, and topic. You will receive a confirmation email once your submission has been received. Your email will be read aloud by the Town Clerk at the appropriate time. Please note that your submission in its entirety is public record, subject to the Freedom of Information Act.
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org before 4:30 p.m. Thursday, July 9, with your name, address, and topic to register to speak from your phone during the correct public comment time on the agenda. A confirmation email will be sent to you with the link and/or phone number to use. Participants will be given 1 minute to speak online. Please note that your comments will be livestreamed to the public and recorded.
An ordinance passed on Monday, June 29 requires the public to wear face coverings in retail and foodservice establishments, effective through 11:59 p.m. Thursday, July 9, unless renewed or sooner terminated by Council.
The Annex Building and Town Hall are open with strict guidelines.
- Masks are required.
- The public can only enter Town Hall through the entrance near W. 2nd South St.
- The public can only enter the Annex Building through the main entrance near W. Richardson Ave.
- Anyone who attempts to enter the facilities will be required to have their temperature taken. Entrance will not be granted to anyone with a temperature of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or over.
- Staff will sanitize commonly touched surfaces in common areas throughout the day.
- Hand sanitizer dispensers have been installed throughout the facilities.
Services for permitting, planning, zoning, business licensing, code enforcement, and general requests are available online through the CitizenServe portal or by phone.
- Town Hall: (843) 871-6000
- Administration: (843) 851-4200 or (843) 851-4201
- Building Permits: (843) 851-4205
- Business Licenses: (843) 851-4215 or (843) 695-6508
- Code Enforcement: (843) 851-4219
- Fire Department: (843) 873-5107
- Municipal Court: (843) 875-2010
- Parks and Recreation: (843) 851-5211
- Planning/Tree Permits: (843) 851-4214
- Police Department: (843) 871-2463 or (843) 875-1650
- Public Works: (843) 851-4225
- Court is postponing and rescheduling all traffic and criminal cases set for July 2020.
- Bond hearings will continue as scheduled.
- Anyone with questions can call the court at 843-875-2010 or email email@example.com
- Payments can be made online at SC.gov or dropped off in our overnight payment receptacle outside Town Hall.
- The Summerville Farmers Market will not be back in its normal form for the rest of 2020. Starting Saturday, July 11, the Town will host a scaled-down Mini Summerville Farmers Market in an effort to support local farmers. The market operates every Saturday between 8 a.m. and 1 p.m. behind Town Hall.
- Fire Department’s car seat installation classes are canceled.
- Staff will work with permittees on upcoming rentals.
- Business license penalties are suspended through August 31. This suspension is only for penalties and does not affect the actual payments.
- Staff is monitoring service requests through the Town of Summerville app and phone calls made to (843) 851-4225.
- Rollins Edwards Community Center will reopen to the public on Friday, July 10.
- Registration is open for fall youth sports through Friday, July 31.
The Town advises the public to take precautions issued by the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
For more information visit www.summervillesc.gov or call the appropriate department.