Stormwater Permitting

As land is developed, its native pervious surfaces, which allow for the absorption of rainfall into the ground, are replaced with impervious surfaces-like rooftops, streets, driveways and parking lots-which increases the volume of rainfall that cannot be absorbed.

This excess amount of rainfall not soaking into the ground is known as stormwater runoff.

Stormwater runoff is the most common source of water pollution because it flows over land collecting pollutants such as pesticides, sediment, oil, and pet wastes before directly discharging into our streams, rivers, and oceans-the same waters we use for drinking and recreation. 

Stormwater Management

From flooding problems to water quality concerns, uncontrolled stormwater runoff has a significant impact on our community. Under the Federal Clean Water Act, South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (SCDHEC) issued a MS4 Permit (PDF) to the Town of Summerville requiring the establishment of a Stormwater Management Program.


Complying with permit requirements, the Town has developed a Stormwater Management Plan (SWMP) covering the following six components:

For any construction/land-disturbing activity within the Summerville’s Town limits, stormwater permit submittals will need to be made to the Town of Summerville Engineering Department, as well as to SCDHEC for Coastal Zone Consistency (CZC) certification and NPDES Construction General Permit (CGP) coverage.


There are two categories of stormwater applications depending on the size and type of development:

  1. Erosion Prevention and Sediment Control (EPSC) Certification for Single Family Residential construction activities disturbing less than 1 acre and Commercial, Industrial and major subdivisions that disturb less than one-half acre. Click here to complete an online EPSC Certification
  2. Stormwater Construction Approval Application for Single Family Residential construction activities disturbing 1 acre or more and Commercial, Industrial and major subdivisions that disturb one-half acre or more. A completed Stormwater Practices Permanent Maintenance Covenants and Stormwater Plan Review Fee are also needed.

All MS4 Projects under this category - from permit review and approval, through construction, to permit close-out - will utilize our online CitizenServe Portal. The online submittal process will require the applicant to upload the completed application, Maintenance Covenants and other applicable documents that can be accessed below: