Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program
The Town of Summerville’s Grants Office administers the Town’s Community Development Block Grant (CDBG). The CDBG Entitlement Program provides annual grants from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development on a formula basis to entitled cities and counties to develop viable urban communities by providing decent housing, a suitable living environment, and by expanding economic opportunities, principally for low-and-moderate-income persons.
The Town of Summerville does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, religion, sex, national origin, familial status or disability in the admission or access to, or treatment or employment in its federally assisted programs or activities. Assistance will be provided to accommodate the special needs of disabled persons and persons with limited English language proficiency. Please contact Pam Wike, Grants Writer, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (843) 851-4234 at least 72 hours prior to the hearing if auxiliary aids are required.
Consolidated Plan/Annual Action Plan
Every five years, the Town prepares a Consolidated Plan. The Consolidated Plan is designed to help the grantee assess affordable housing and community development needs and market conditions and to make data-driven, place-based investment decisions. The consolidated planning process serves as the framework for a community-wide dialogue to identify housing and community development priorities that align with the funding priorities of the CDBG program.
The Consolidated Plan is carried out through Annual Action Plans, which provide a concise summary of the actions, activities, and specific federal and non-federal resources that will be used each year to address the priority needs and specific goals identified by the Consolidated Plan. Grantees report on accomplishments and progress toward Consolidated Plan goals in the Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report (CAPER).
- View the 2022 Annual Action Plan
- View the 2020 to 2024 Consolidated Plan.
- View the Annual Action Plans.
- View the Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Reports.
- View the 2022 CAPER Draft.
As a recipient of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) grant funds, the Town of Summerville certifies that it will affirmatively further fair housing by taking meaningful actions to combat discrimination, overcome patterns of segregation, foster inclusive communities free from barriers that restrict access to opportunity based on protected characteristics, and maintain compliance with civil rights and fair housing laws. The following links provide more information on HUD’s Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing Rule and the Town’s Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing:
- Family Services Inc. dba Origin SC 843-628-3000
- Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing Rule
- The Fair Housing Act
If you would like to seek fair housing counseling or file a complaint, please contact the following agencies:
- South Carolina Human Affairs Commission
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Fair Housing Program Office
The Lowcountry Continuum of Care seeks to encompass all organizations providing housing and services to persons experiencing homelessness and representing the interests of those individuals and families. If you or someone you know is experiencing homelessness, please call the crisis line at 843-737-8357 or visit Lowcountry Continuum of Care (lowcountrycoc.org)
Current and/or Completed Projects Using Our 2023 CDBG (HUD) Funds:
- W. 1st North Street sidewalk installation – will be completed in 2024
- Elks Lodge Lane repaving – completed
- Melfi Alley repaving – completed
- Wassamassaw Park Improvements: Playground equipment replacement – will be completed in 2024
- Trash receptacle and benches, baby changing station, drinking fountain, upgraded lighting, and stained pavilion
Current and/or Completed Projects Using Our 2022 CDBG (HUD) Funds:
- Doty Park Tennis Court resurfacing – completed
- Doty Park pavilion roof repair – completed
- Doty Park Depot Building window replacement – completed