SUMMERVILLE, S.C. (November 22, 2017) – The Annual Christmas Tree Lighting will be held Tuesday, December 5, 2017 at Summerville Town Hall (200 South Main Street) and Hutchinson Square. The event is jointly hosted by the Flowertown Garden Club, Summerville DREAM and the Town of Summerville.
- Pre-program music will be presented by the Sires Singing Stingrays from Dr. Eugene Sires Elementary School, under the direction of Leianne Johnson, starting at 6:15 p.m.
- The Summerville High School Brass Ensemble, under the direction of Leslie Gilreath, will be performing along with the Summerville High School Chorus, led by David Richardson. An invocation will be given by Pastor Christian Simmons from New Bethel Sounds of Praise.
- Town of Summerville Mayor Wiley Johnson will be present to direct that the lights be turned on at approximately 6:45 p.m.
This wonderful holiday tradition will continue in Hutchinson Square under the twinkling lights with music and food trucks. Several downtown stores and restaurants will be open late for shopping and dining.
The following road closures will take place for the Annual Christmas Tree Lighting event.
- Little Main Street will be closed to traffic beginning at 4:00 p.m. West Richardson Avenue between Short Central and 17-A (S. Main Street) will be closed to traffic beginning at 5:00 p.m. Traffic going to the Parking Garage on Short Central will be permitted to turn onto W. Richardson Avenue from S. Cedar Street or access it through the First Citizen’s Bank parking lot from West 2nd Street. All other traffic will be rerouted. 17-A (S. Main Street) will be closed to traffic beginning at 6:00 p.m. between Doty Avenue and West Richardson Avenue. All roads will be reopened to traffic by 9:00 p.m. on Tuesday, December 5, 2017.
- Parking on Doty Avenue between Cedar Street and 17-A (S. Main Street) will be reserved for Special Event Handicap Parking.