TOWN OF SUMMERVILLE
LOCAL HOSPITALITY/ ACCOMMODATIONS TAX FUND
GUIDELINES AND APPLICATION FOR 2018 BUDGET
The Town of Summerville, South Carolina is now accepting Local Hospitality/ Accommodations Tax funding applications for the 2018 budget. Below is the application and guidelines. Applications may be submitted after July 1, 2017 and must be received at Town Hall located at 200 S. Main Street, Summerville, S.C. 29483 no later than 5:00 p.m. on August 1, 2017.
*Be advised that organizations submitting applications for Local Hospitality/ Accommodations Tax funding are advised that all materials submitted to this office are subject to the Freedom of Information Act.
PROGRAM DESCRIPTION AND GUIDELINES
Per South Carolina Code Sections 6-1-530 and 6-1-730 the revenues from the hospitality/ accommodations taxes may only be used for the following:
- Tourism-related buildings, including, but not limited to civic centers, coliseums, and aquariums
- Tourism-related cultural, recreational, or historic facilities
- Beach access, re-nourishment, or other tourism-related land and water access
- Highways, roads, streets, and bridges providing access to tourist destinations
- Advertisements and promotions related to tourism development
- Water and sewer infrastructure to serve tourism-related demand
- Applicant organizations and/or projects must be located in the Town of Summerville, or, if located outside the Town, must sponsor programs within the Town of Summerville.
- Applicants must submit a complete application within the time allocated.
- Applicants must provide proof of their federal employer identification number as registered with the Internal Revenue Service.
- Applicants must provide proof of nonprofit status. Please attach to this application.
- Summerville will not award Hospitality/ Accommodations Tax funds to individuals, religious organizations, or political advocacy campaigns.
PROCESS FOR FUNDING APPROVAL
Once all applications for Local Hospitality/ Accommodations Tax funds have been received by the Town of Summerville, they will be forwarded to Summerville Town Council for consideration. The following criteria may be considered to determine funding eligibility:
- This program or event will promote dining at restaurants, cafeterias, and other eating and drinking establishments in the Town of Summerville.
- This program or event will generate overnight stay in the Town of Summerville lodging facilities.
- This program or event will promote and highlight the Town of Summerville’s historic and cultural venues, recreational facilities and events, and the uniqueness and flavor of the local community.